Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Crazy Pirates

A few nights ago Jer and I stumbled upon Whale Wars. It is a show on Animal Planet about a few dozen modern day pirates who fight for the safety of all whales. According to Australian Law, so many whales can legally be fished for research. Japanese vessels have continued fishing whales within the restricted numbers for "research". According to the Sea Shepard's on the Steve Erwin (aka the pirates), this is simply a front. Japan still has a huge market for whale meat and other commodities.

Watch for the guy-on-guy cat fight. Priceless.



I am not one to judge people for fighting for what they believe in (good for them...the whales do need protection), but I think most of you would agree that you would have to be crazy to join these hippies. Being stuck on this boat would be hell. Being stuck in confined space with people that can only shower for 3 minutes every three days, a 100% vegan menu, freezing Antartic weather, sea-sickness, a crew that as a majority have horrible personalities and no experience, a captain that could care less about his crew and who was vote 11-1 out of Green Peace (his vote was the 1), and being pressured to do things you don't feel comfortable doing. Ex: Jumping onto a Japanese boat with the intent to deliver a letter and being taken prisoner with the prospect of living the rest of your life in a Japanese prison.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah! I totally saw this preview in the movie theaters! It looks crazy!!!!!!!!!! I need to watch the show!

Andrew and Charonne- said...

SIGN ME UP!JK!

erin said...

we heard about this situation while in hong kong... crazy beatniks, god bless 'em!

kristi said...

that show looks awesome and interesting. add it to my other 100 shows to watch.

Dana P said...

Wow! I don't even know what to say to that! I can't believe that people LIVE that way! Really interested though.

Ciara Slider said...

CRAZIES! that's all i have to say

etta said...

wow modern day pirates, rec will be so excited. i think some ppl i went to high school with would fit in well with them.

Punj said...

You got me interested and now I've been downloading episodes...I'm hooked. They're all loco!!